DH 2020: Benevolence and Excellence: Digital Humanities and Chinese Culture Call for Papers
DH 2020: Benevolence and Excellence: Digital Humanities and Chinese Culture
Call for Papers
DH (Digital Humanities) has flourished in China for over ten years. Over the past years, we strive to keep up with the world, re-examine the past and configure the present. When Prof. Dr. Melissa Terras from the University of Edinburgh visited Nanjing University in November 2019, she asked us about the origin and features of DH in China. She raised an insightful question that left us in deep thought: what unique vision can the origin of ‘Ren’-oriented Chinese humanism, and humanities and spiritual legacy represented by the Confucian-based disciplines of ‘Six Arts’ bring to the DH research?
Following the success of the first Dunhuang Digital Humanities Conference (DH2019), the second national Digital Humanities Conference (DH2020) will be held from October 19th to October 21th,2020 in Shanghai Library in Shanghai, China. Under the general theme of “Benevolence and Excellence: Digital Humanities and Chinese Culture”, DH2020 is intended to give particular focus on the “China issue” in DH. This conference provides a high-level venue that brings together domestic and foreign humanists to promote collaborations and exchange of academic ideas.
DH2020 will invite well-known scholars and domain experts both at home and abroad. This conference will engage with the frontier issues, theoretical and methodological aspects, practical implementations, and evaluations in the field of digital humanities, and organize sessions such as keynote talks, workshops, panel (roundtable) discussions, and tutorials.
For the first time, DH2020 invites submissions from all humanists, general practitioners, and current students. The Best Paper Award will be presented during the conference and the winner will have free access to the full program of DH2020 and all the accompanying activities. All best papers will be given priority for publication in the journals that support or sponsor this conference.
Possible topics include, but are not limited to:
1. Theoretical and epistemological aspects of Digital Humanities;
2. Methodological and technological aspects of Digital Humanities;
3. Discipline integration and boundary exploration of Digital Humanities;
4. Digital Humanities pedagogy and academic curricula;
5. Digital Humanities and Artificial Intelligence;
6. Crowdsourcing and cooperation in Digital Humanities;
7. Project evaluation and best practices in Digital Humanities;
8. Fundamental infrastructure in Digital Humanities;
9. GLAM and Digital Humanities;
10. Digital Humanities in a Chinese context;
11. Digital Humanities and Chinese Studies;
12. Digital Arts and Digital Humanities;
13. Any other theme related to the Digital Humanities
General Instructions for all Submissions
1. All submissions must be original and unpublished.
2. Submissions should be in either English or Chinese.
3. Three types of submissions will be accepted: full papers (up to 20 pages), short papers (up to 5 pages), and posters.
4. Submissions should have definite viewpoints, rigorous methodology, detailed content, and standard references.
5. Submissions should follow the paper format of "DH2020-Specifications for Writing Conference Papers.pdf" and see also "Example of an Engilsh paper.pdf ","Examples of listing references.pdf".
Abstract (c.a. 500 words) Submission Deadline: June 15th, 2020
Abstract Notification Date: June 30th, 2020
Paper/Poster Submission Deadline: July 30th , 2020
Notification Date: August 30th, 2020
Conference Date: October 19th - October 21th , 2020
Shanghai Library, China
Shanghai Library/Institute of Scientific and Technical Information of Shanghai
The China Society of Indexers
Center of Big Data in History and Humanities, Shanghai Library
Department of Library, Information and Archives, Shanghai University
Digital Humanities Section, Shanghai Society of Library Science
Institute of Big Data in Humanities and Social Science, Fudan University
Social Survey and Data Center, East China Normal University
Tongfang Knowledge Network Technology Co. , Ltd Shanghai Branch
Society of Digital Humanities, The China Society of Indexers (The Chinese Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations)
Administration Center, China Academic Digital Associative Library (CADAL)
Center for Digital Humanities, Wuhan University
China Biographical Database project (CBDB)
Department of Information Management, Peking University
Max Planck Institute for the History of Science
Institute of Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, Nanjing University
Research Center for Digital Humanities of Renmin University of China
School of Information Management, Nanjing University
School of Information Management, Sun Yat-sen University
School of Information Management, Wuhan University
School of Information Resource Management, Renmin University of China
Sponsors and Supporters
Hangzhou Hongya Technology Limited
Hanvon Digital Technology
Shanghai RFID Smart Label System Technology co., LTD
Shanghai Sunde Information System Co., Ltd.
Digital Humanities Research
International Journal of Librarianship (IJoL)
Information and Documentation Services
Journal of Digital Humanities（Chinese）
Journal of Information Resources Management
Journal of Library and Information Science in Agriculture
Journal of Library Science in China
Quan Guo Bao Kan Suo Yin
01Lab, Wechat official account
DH Information, Wechat official account
China LIS_Jobs, Wechat official account